Monday, November 22, 2010

Authority

I was walking around in a large, open city. It felt like central park almost, skyscrapers all around but where I was there was a lake and a large open field. In the center was a massive cathedral on the lake, as if the water was a form of moat. It was made of marble, beautifully crafted and had a lustrous glare coming off it as the sun began to set behind it. A large bridge led to the huge doors of the church, and there was an endless flow of people slowly walking into it, but never exiting. Along the perimeters of the lake was a very Gothic, black metal fence. I, along with some other people, were shouting at the church, rattling the fence with clenched fists.
"Don't trust them!", we screamed," can't you see nobody returns! Reject the false ideologies, think for yourself!"
A police officer approaches us, and everybody scatters, fleeing in absolute fear. I look him in the eyes as he approaches, noticing that he is hulking and towers above me.
"Young man you run along now."
"Officer I cannot and will not. I have the right to my opinion and I can try to warn these people of what I fear."
He leans down and puts his face in front of mine, getting angrier with each word. "This is America, and you will think the way everyone else does."
I attempt to begin protest, trying to argue the logic of that statement, but he presses further and bears down on me. He is no longer a man but a horrific figure. Still with a mans face, but a hulking mass falling upon me like a waterfall. His words are angry, and his voice sounds as if it is being said through the throats of 30 men, all a different pitch. It vibrates in my head, his demands for me to quit, all the while he falls upon me. I am sinking into the ground, his mass crushing me.
I fight back. I thrust my head upward and clock him in the jaw, which causes him to revert to being a normal, large human being. I get him in a leg lock and he is screaming, but pinned.
I call my mother, telling her I think I am in trouble. I explain the situation to her, and my fear of letting him go because I have assaulted an Officer. In my mind I have two options...I either have to kill this man...this thing...or I let it go, and suffer the penalty. As I try to explain this to my mother over the phone, the words stop coming out of my mouth. I try to speak, but I do not have the energy to exhale, and I find myself drifting off.


I woke up and did not want to move, feeling as exhausted as I had felt that last moment of the dream. It was as if something was holding me down to the bed. I drift back into sleep for about 45 minutes without dreaming, then wake up and started my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment